Personal Auto Insurance

Auto insurance companies in Oregon can now reduce the amount the insurance company will pay for an accident that involves a driver not listed on your policy.  Yes, suppose the person driving your car lives with you or doesn’t but regularly uses your vehicle, and they have an accident. In that case, the insurance company can pay only the state minimum benefits.  That’s a maximum of $25,000 per person to $50,000 per accident (shared).  It doesn’t take much to spend $25,000 - just a trip in an ambulance to an emergency room with some blood work and an MRI exceeds that.

This will happen if the person driving is suspended, expired, revoked, intoxicated (alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription drugs), or the vehicle is being used for business or while committing a felony.

Always remember - if you excluded your family member or roommate on the application, they are never covered, even in an emergency.  Understand clearly the exclusion before you sign it.

If you want more information on this topic, please call or text us at 503-489-3143.

We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.